President-elect Donald Trump has started to appoint people to his future cabinet to help him lead the country in January. While Trump has already raised concerns with several of his administration appointments such as white supremacist Stephen Bannon, there’s another thing Americans need to be aware of when it comes to Trump’s cabinet picks.
Trump once claimed to be extremely LGBT-friendly and said that he would “protect our L-G-B-T-Q citizens” during his presidential campaign. That is turning out to be just another one of his many lies – because every single one of his current cabinet members has one terrifying thing in common – they all oppose LGBT rights.
It seems that not only does Trump want to “Make America Great Again”…he also wants to Make America Straight Again. This should have been obvious, considering that Indiana Governor Mike Pence is a supporter of conversion therapy and a co-sponsor of the First Amendment Defense Act – legislation that would allow LGBT people to be discriminated against on the basis of religion. But let’s look at some of the other lesser known people Trump is picking to help him destroy the country:
- Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions was chosen to be Trump’s Attorney General, and he’s well known as one of the most anti-LGBT members of Congress. He voted against equal marriage and did not want gay people to be allowed to serve in the military.
- Betsy DeVos will be Trump’s Secretary of Education, and she has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to anti-gay marriage causes.
- Tom Price will Secretary of Health and Human Services, who said this when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of marriage equality:
“Today’s ruling by the Supreme Court serves only as further encouragement to use the court system as a systematic springboard to enact agendas outside the democratic and legislative structures of government. Thirty States have held statewide ballots banning gay marriage since the year 2000, and yet legislating from the bench has superseded both public approval and our elected representatives. This is not only a sad day for marriage, but a further judicial destruction of our entire system of checks and balances.”
- Elaine Chao was chosen as Secretary of Transportation, and not only did she oversee the anti-LGBT Department of Labor in George W. Bush’s cabinet, but she’s also campaigned a bit for her husband, homophobic Republican Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell.
- Trump has chosen Reince Priebus to be White House Chief of Staff. Priebus is currently the Chairman of the Republican National Committee, and has helped to make the GOP the most anti-LGBT platform in decades.
- Michael Flynn is Trump’s National Security Advisor, and he is extremely opposed to transgender rights. Most recently, he attacked the Obama administration for allowing transgender people to serve in the army.
- Governor of South Carolina Nikki Haley was chosen to be the Ambassador to the United Nations, who wanted to ban same-sex weddings in her state. She said:
“Marriage should between a man and a woman. I’m going to stand by the people of this state, stand by the constitution, I’m going to support it and fight for it every step of the way.”
These appointments by Trump are scary, and it’s becoming clear what Trump meant when he said he wanted to take America back to “better” times. What Trump really means is a time when white privilege went unchecked, minorities were second-class citizens and people weren’t allowed to love who they wanted.
Featured image via Chip Somodevilla / Getty Images